New user-cannot get lexmark z700-p700 to work

Hi, i am yet a newbie, and just installed OpenSuse 12.1, and am trying to get my lexmark z700-p700 to work. At first when I tried to add “New Printer” I got “Unable to add printer: Forbidden” (I do not like that level of security) but found the YAST Amin settings and was able to try the printer config under root. I tried the auto configuration and the detect USB settings, and it downloaded a lot of files (in an impressive way, and then under Printer config window it showed the printer, but “no matching driver is found”. I tried “find more” and chose the 1st Foomatic postcript, and after that i tried “Print test page” but no go. I went back and tried the Raw que but that also fails.

So is there any way to get this Lexmark to work? I read they are not friendly to Linux. Thanks

And it is all plugged in and turned on.

Hi Acts1036

I’m not familiar with Lexmark printers, but a quick search online revealed that drivers are available from here:

Lexmark Z700/P700 linux printer drivers

Follow the instructions given there to install the two RPM packages: z700llpddk-2.0-1.i386.rpm and lexmark-z700-cups-driver-1.1.1-1.i586.rpm

After that, try manually configuring via a browser pointed at the CUPS http config utility:

http://localhost:631/admin

Select ‘Add Printer’, enter your root credentials, and follow the prompts given. You should see the ‘Lexmark Z700’ model is available to choose from.

Good luck.

Thanks for finding that. I installed the first but the second says "A package dependency could not be found… Nothing provides libpng.so.3 needed… Running the http://localhost:631/admin (which i presume was pointed to the CUPS http config utility) gives me the Forbidden - No Permission error, and i do not now how to deal with that (i would just as soon always run as root despite the warnings), unless the YaST admin config i used before would do the same. I also do not know how to deal with the tarballs also offered on the driver page. Sorry, this is different than Windows.

I guess I cannot edit posts [that just showed up for this one], but due to the need for of permissions (i assume, it did not say that, but
“access denied”) for so many basic things then I cannot copy files to a NTFS partition (on this same drive Linux is one other hard drive) from my Windows XP drive. (I remember Vista tried something like that and i was able to nuke that restriction.) I am the only user; how do I login and I stay as root or give my user name universal full permissions? Thanks

Okay, first point is that these are old packages. This is a very old printer model, and Lexmark do not provide Linux drivers for this model, so this site is has very old packages. The library dependency concerns libpng - a portable network graphics (PNG) reference Library, which has been considerably updated, since these drivers were written.

Running the http://localhost:631/admin (which i presume was pointed to the CUPS http config utility) gives me the Forbidden - No Permission error, and i do not now how to deal with that (i would just as soon always run as root despite the warnings), unless the YaST admin config i used before would do the same.

For administrative tasks you need to enter your root credentials: ‘root’ for user and corresponding root password.

Since you are a new user, I suggest you have a read of this ‘First Concepts’ guide. It covers a number of topics besides the ‘Security’ linked to.

…for so many basic things then I cannot copy files to a NTFS partition (on this same drive Linux is one other hard drive) from my Windows XP drive. (I remember Vista tried something like that and i was able to nuke that restriction.)

Starting out with Linux presents a steep learning curve to many, but once you get used to this OS environment, you’ll begin to understand the advantages.

Read this guide:
HowTo Mount NTFS Filesystem Partition Read Write Access in openSUSE

I am the only user; how do I login and I stay as root or give my user name universal full permissions? Thanks

Not a good idea and not necessary at all.

Thanks. I did not get a window asking for my cred, as i think i hit find new printers instead of add printer. So now i am at the page that shows the Lexmark Z700-P700 Series printer, but it is asking for the Location. Is it important what i write? Thanks

Note: I meant to say that previously i did not get a a window asking for my cred, but the second time i did and got permission, yet i did not find that printer or anything close to its number, but used the z53 driver, and it still not print. I have the Windows driver, but i do not think that would work, unless WINE could use it.

Thanks for the links, and i found this one good as well. I understand running all as root is too much, but i was looking or a level of freedom to do things like in any drive like i have in Windows, and i hope to see Linux as a real alternative in speed and usability to Windows with without a a learning curve that often requires coding, though i understand part of the problem is manufacturers do not support Linux they could.

I understand the security concerns, but i after 10 years of using the Internet about 10 hours a day (under W/95/98/XP), and using lots of freeware (from good sources like Snap files) and only getting 2 viruses (thank God, pray and press!) i do not feel a great need for more. I regularly check to see what is running, and use things like Win Patrol that alerts me to surreptitious changes (like from Microsoft!), as well as the mvps hosts file. But i quickly can quickly go any place and do anything without having to open up a terminal, etc.

I have experimented with some other distros,and used Puppy linux somewhat, and it did not seem to have this issue, and am finding that OpenSuse with its Yast Admin and Superuser term is better than others. And you are right that with more experience i can understand the advantages. And the forums are so critical in this, and i want to thank you again for your willingness to help.

I have the Windows driver, but i do not think that would work, unless WINE could use it.

No, not an option unfortunately. Windows uses an entirely different printing sub-system anyway.

I understand the security concerns, but i after 10 years of using the Internet about 10 hours a day (under W/95/98/XP), and using lots of freeware (from good sources like Snap files) and only getting 2 viruses (thank God, pray and press!) i do not feel a great need for more. I regularly check to see what is running, and use things like Win Patrol that alerts me to surreptitious changes (like from Microsoft!), as well as the mvps hosts file. But i quickly can quickly go any place and do anything without having to open up a terminal, etc.

One of the reasons, Windows viruses and exploits are so common, is due to the lack of security measures in place historically. Linux has followed the rigorous Unix permissions philosophy from its very beginning, and so has OS X for that matter.

Well, talk about old printers. I had an old Lexmark Z32, which has printed a lot, and it installed under YaSt Admin config and works! Yet as with another Linux distro some time ago i have briefly used, after printing both lights start flashing and you have to turn it off and on again. But it began to have an internal problem even under windows, so i wanted to get the other Lexmark (uses same ink) to work. I like these because the carts are very easy to refill (heat a paper clip, melt hole in top front, and refill). Did one one black cart over 20 times with bulk pigmented ink at about 1.50 per ounce. Sure beats 2the price of new ones. Thank God for options!

Now i must work on permissions. I tried to use LibreOffice to open a file from a folder in my Windows drive, but it says “The specified folder does not exist or was not readable.” Before i was able to navigate to that drive and folder, so i will tried to log out and in again so i can get to work. Thanks again for your patience and help.

Lexmark printer was really hard to make it work on linux.
I had a problem with it long ago.
This from the archive:
http://forums.opensuse.org/archives/sf-archives/archives-hardware/314514-need-help-my-printer.html:(

Well, i am sure if everyone had a governor on their car to keep it under 30 then there would be less accidents, but i think careless “driving” on the Internet or in opening attachments is the prime reason for malware, plus about 90% of PCs having Windows and being most targeted, but as lack of Windows security has not been a problem for me, even under W/9x, and as i am often accessing and editing many files across drives then i find the excessive security is a slow down. For some reason before LO could access files from Windows, and also had FF using the profile in Windows, but neither is allowed now except under root, or in File manager unless i user the Superuser. I just edited the Fstab file the best i understood the instructions, and am about to reboot.

This may (or may not) work with providing you with a z700 driver. It is based on the instructions I found on this Gentoo Wiki page.

1. Download the tar.gz file from here.

2. Open a terminal and become root with

su -

enter your root password when prompted.

1. Change to /tmp directory
cd /tmp
  1. Unpack your downloaded file, using the /path/to/where/you/downloaded. For example, my user ‘Download’ directory
tar -xzf /home/dean/Downloads/lexmark.z700-0.3.tar.gz

This will give you a directory /tmp/lexmark.z700-0.3/ with a usr directory and a DEBIAN directory. We’re only interested in the first.

1. Change to the required directory with
cd lexmark.z700-0.3/

and move files to the correct location (within /usr directory tree) with

tar --sparse -cf - ./usr | ( cd /; tar -xvpf - )
  1. Restart CUPS with
rccups restart
  1. Now plug in your printer and check what is reported (if anything) when the following backend is executed
/usr/lib/cups/backend/z700

If all is well, you should see something like this reported

direct z700:/dev/usb/lp0 "Lexmark Lexmark Z700 Series" "Lexmark Printer"

It should then be possible to proceed with the configuration via CUPS.

Okay, I recommend starting a new thread for that. If you get stuck, we’ll need to see how you’ve configured /etc/fstab.

Well, i am back under XP as that messed up the boot. Too late to fix it now.

Well, i am back under XP as that messed up the boot. Too late to fix it now.

As you’ve learned, bad editing of system files, and especially /etc/fstab, can be dangerous. It is probably easier for you to reinstall, but it is possible to restore /etc/fstab by booting from a Live CD/DVD, but its not an easy task for a new user.

I just put in a copy of Puppy and in a couple minutes had edited the fstab (i am glad remembered where it was!) back to normal, and now am back in OS ready to try your post 14 procedure.

[QUOTE=deano_ferrari;2460698

It should then be possible to proceed with the configuration via CUPS.[/QUOTE]

. Maybe i messed it up the first time, but the second worked fine, copying a lot after linux-58bg:~/lexmark.z700-0.3 # tar --sparse -cf - ./usr | ( cd /; tar -xvpf - )./usr/ until the /usr/lib/cups/backend/z700 line, which resulted in

linux-58bg:~/lexmark.z700-0.3 # /usr/lib/cups/backend/z700
/usr/lib/cups/backend/z700: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

However, running the http://localhost:631 now shows Lexmark_Z700-P700 in the list of printers to choose from, and i did so, but after it is all installed it fails to print job a test page, and i get the error, /usr/lib/cups/filter/rastertoz700 failed." Sorry.